20 Boundary St
Saint Stephen, NB E3L 1N8
Foam-Lined Bras – Sew your own!
Sewing skill level: intermediate and up. You must have completed an Essential Bra Making 101 class to take this class.
Learn to sew a foam-lined bra, using either your custom fitted pattern from your Essential Bra Making class, or the Ruby pattern from Bra Makers Supply.
Join the Queen of Cups for a hands-on, two day workshop where:
- you’ll learn how to adapt your existing pattern to include foam cups, or how to construct a new foam bra pattern (provided)
- you’ll construct at least one, possibly two bras based on your pattern, in a small class setting (four people maximum.)
The course fee is $300 plus HST. (Why? See our FAQs)
50% of the course fee is due at registration, with the balance due 7 days before the class begins. Within 7 days of the class, the course fee is non-refundable.
The Course Includes:
- Two days of instruction from professional bra maker Abby Pond
- One complete foam bra kit, which includes the fabric, foam, elastics, findings (sliders and rings, hook and eye closure and bow), and underwires
- One copy of the Pinup Girls Ruby bra pattern
- One personalized, fitted bra pattern for you
- Course materials on bra construction process, materials, and more
- Coffee, tea, and refreshments throughout the day (a kitchen will be on site if you wish to eat lunch)
You will also have the opportunity to purchase additional bra kits, fabric, findings, wires, and learning materials. The fabric in a bra kit is usually enough to construct 2 bras, but you will need to purchase the findings, elastics and wires to complete it.
By the end of the two days, you will have completed at least one bra in a pattern fit for you, and have learned the skills to construct your own bras at home with pattern fitted to you.
Space is limited to 4 participants in each session. That ensures you receive lots of personal attention from the instructor.
This course is not for beginning sewists. You will need to have solid basic sewing skills, including sewing straight and curved seams. Experience working with 1/4″ seams is also an asset. You also need to have completed Essential Bra Making 101 before taking this class.
What to bring
You will need to bring the following with you when you come to your course:
- a functioning sewing machine (please test it before you come) that has straight stitch and zig zag stitch at a minimum; 3-step zigzag and lightning/serpentine stitch are preferable too.
- all the cords and the pedal for your machine
- an extension cord
- a package of 75/11 Stretch needles (Schmetz is recommended)
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Paper Scissors, SHARP fabric scissors, thread snips
- 1/4″ foot or a foot to ensure a perfect 1/4″ seam allowance
- Topstitching foot or a stitch-in-the-ditch foot if you have one
- Regular polyester thread – we recommend Gutermann (can be ordered from the Queen of Cups in advance)
- Fabric marking pen that is washout (for Frixion pens)
- A seam ripper, spare bobbins, a tape measure, a small ruler. Optional are a seam gauge.
- Drafting paper, scotch tape (if you don’t have on hand, I have plenty!)
- A water bottle, snacks and your lunch (coffee and tea are available for free on site)
- If you like extra light when you are sewing, you can bring your own sewing lamp.
It’s a good idea to label all your supplies with your name so they don’t get mixed up with others.
When you register, you’ll receive a course outline and more details of the course itself.
Bring Bra Making to your community
Would you like to see a bra making workshop in your community? Contact Abby to discuss how we can make it happen!