20 Boundary St
Saint Stephen, NB E3L 1N8
Level Up: Lace and Style changes for bra making
Sewing skill level: Intermediate and up
For those who’ve completed Essential Bra Making 101 and/or our foam-lined bra class, learn how to adapt your custom fit pattern to have different seam lines, a partial band, and different ways to apply lace!
Join the Queen of Cups for a hands-on, two day workshop where:
- you’ll learn about using different materials in your bra making
- How to adapt your bra pattern for different materials or style changes
- Different applications for lace in the cups, frame, band, and straps
- you’ll construct at least one, possibly two bras based on your pattern, in a small class setting (four people maximum.)
The course fee is $200 plus HST. (Why? See our FAQs)
50% of the course fee is due at registration, with the balance due 7 days before the class begins. Within 7 days of the class, the course fee is non-refundable.
The Course Includes:
- Two days of instruction from professional bra maker Abby Pond
- One complete essential bra kit, which includes the fabric, elastics, findings (sliders and rings, hook and eye closure and bow), and underwires
- 2 m of lace
- Course materials on bra construction process, materials, and more
- Coffee, tea, and refreshments throughout the day (a kitchen will be on site if you wish to eat lunch)
You will also have the opportunity to purchase additional bra kits, fabric, findings, wires, and learning materials. The fabric in a bra kit is usually enough to construct 2 bras, but you will need to purchase the findings, elastics and wires to complete it.
By the end of the two days, you will have completed at least one bra that you’ve adapted using the techniques taught in this class.
Space is limited to 4 participants in each session. That ensures you receive lots of personal attention from the instructor.
This course is not for beginning sewists. You will need to have completed one of our other bra making classes to take this class.
What to bring
You will need to bring the following with you when you come to your course:
- a functioning sewing machine (please test it before you come) that has straight stitch and zig zag stitch at a minimum; 3-step zigzag and lightning/serpentine stitch are preferable too.
- all the cords and the pedal for your machine
- an extension cord
- a package of 75/11 Stretch needles (Schmetz is recommended)
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Paper Scissors, SHARP fabric scissors, thread snips
- 1/4″ foot or a foot to ensure a perfect 1/4″ seam allowance
- Topstitching foot or a stitch-in-the-ditch foot if you have one
- Regular polyester thread in white or a pastel colour (can be ordered from the Queen of Cups in advance)
- Fabric marking pen that is washout (for Frixion pens)
- A seam ripper, spare bobbins, a tape measure, a small ruler. Optional are a seam gauge.
- Drafting paper, scotch tape (if you don’t have on hand, I have plenty!)
- A water bottle, snacks and your lunch (coffee and tea are available for free on site)
- If you like extra light when you are sewing, you can bring your own sewing lamp.
It’s a good idea to label all your supplies with your name so they don’t get mixed up with others.
When you register, you’ll receive a course outline and more details of the course itself.
Bring Bra Making to your community
Would you like to see a bra making workshop in your community? Contact Abby to discuss how we can make it happen!