By demand, Queen of Cups Lingerie has added a new sewing class – the Myrna Dress sew-along!
Cost: $120 per person (get a $10 discount if you bring a friend!)
- Printing and assembling PDF patterns – tips and tricks
- Measuring your body properly
- Selecting the base pattern size for you
- Adjusting the paper pattern to your measurements
- Cutting out the fabric and transferring pattern marks
- Creating a muslin
- Setting up your machine
- Assembling a muslin
- Assessing fit and adjusting your paper pattern
- Choosing the right fabric for your pattern
- Choosing the right thread, needle and notions, and sewing machine feet
- Online shopping options
Optional homework: finishing assembling a second muslin if necessary and optional fabric buying trip to Saint John
- Completing muslin (if necessary)
- Setting up your machine and testing stitching
- Methods for finishing seams
- Making bias tape
- Cutting out final fabric and marking
- Step by step assembly of dress
- Complete your dress
- Optional hacks or tweaks for your next dress
- Raise a toast, take a photo, and twirl!
What is included in the class?
- 3 days of instructional time
- Additional instruction materials on techniques not covered in the pattern (choosing fabric, buying fabric, taking measurements, making a muslin, adjusting the pattern)
- Snacks and beverages
- Optional group purchase for fabric and materials
- Tracing paper and use of drafting tools
What you need to bring
- A printed copy of your Myrna pattern and instructions, or the link to download (when you register, you’ll receive a link and a discount code for buying the pattern)
- A working sewing machine that can sew a straight stitch and a zig zag, with a regular foot and an invisible zipper foot (one is available for rent)
- A measuring tape (tailor’s measuring tape)*
- A pen suitable for marking fabric*
- Sharp scissors for cutting fabric AND/OR a rotary cutter (new blade!) and mat*
- Scissors or rotary for cutting paper (don’t use your fabric scissors!)
- 4.5 m Muslin fabric and 100% polyester thread for sewing (day 1)
- Dress fabric and matching thread (amount will depend on which version and size of dress you’re making and the width of the fabric – between 4 and 5.5 m)
- An invisible zipper 18” (45 cm) in a matching colour to your fabric
- A pen for making notes
- Fabric pins or clips
- A ruler and drafting curve*
- Extra sewing machine needles that fit your machine (a package of universal needles in varying sizes is good to have on hand)
* if you do not have these materials, I have some on hand – don’t go out and buy them if you don’t have one!
Other Pattern Options
If this pattern isn’t your style, get in touch with Abby – there are other patterns she can suggest that you can use as part of this class.
How to Register
You can register online with this form. Your spot will be confirmed once you have paid the course fee in full.